The following goals were developed for the Special Education Department's Improvement Plan for the 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16 school years.
- Develop an effective and timely communication system to all special education staff, dealing with issues of procedures, compliance and professional development;
- Develop an effective and consistent pre-referral and evaluation process for ELL students; look at the area of disproportionality; work collaboratively with SLPs and psychologists;
- Develop a uniform system for progress monitoring for academic and behavior assessments;
- Develop an effective plan for the correct placement of special education students in secondary math classes;
- Investigate the possibility of blended funding for staff in the following programs: special education, ELL, Title, LAP and general education;
- Provide a professional development strand in the following areas: writing compliant IEPs along with meaningful FBAs, BIPs and AIPs plans and teaching reading and writing in the content areas, with a focus on learning strategies;
- Review of our MBSC programs in terms of the social skills and behavior curricula and in the use of isolation and restraint;
- Review, refine and finalize process for transferring a student to a self-contained placement; and
Work to align special education programs to the Common Core State Standards.