Picnic Point Elementary School

MyWay Premium Template

  • What Are My First Steps to Getting Help?  

    One out of 5 children experience a mental health challenge in any given year.  The good news is YOU can make a difference in your child's life by getting help early. 

    What Do I Do If  I'm Concerned about my Child?

    STEP 1 Learn about child development

    Every child needs to be nurtured from the inside out to develop the socio-emotional, physical and cognitive skills needed to be successful in learning and in life. Children are more likely to overcome mental health symptoms with their parent or caregiver's support and commitment to finding the right services.

    STEP 2: Talk to your healthcare provider

    Talk with your child's doctor, counselor, family, teacher, family support staff, early intervention specialist, or healthcare provider.

    STEP 3: Contact the Washington Mental Health Referral Service for Children

    This service is funded by Washington State, and administered by Seattle Children's. It is free to you.

    Washington's Mental Health Referral Service for Children and Teens connects families with mental health providers who have openings in their schedule and can meet your child's needs. They link you to providers in your local area who fit your child's specialty needs and your insurance coverage. 

    Any Washington family can use this free service. Seattle Children's staff will make referrals for children and teens 17 and younger from across Washington. They connect families with evidence-supported outpatient mental health services in their community.

    Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000253 EndHTML:000019664 StartFragment:000018451 EndFragment:000019578 StartSelection:000018451 EndSelection:000019568 SourceURL:https://www.seattlechildrens.org/clinics/washington-mental-health-referral-service/family/ How to Use the Mental Health Referral Service

    How to Use the Mental Health Referral Service

    • Have your insurance card handy and helpful information about your child's diagnosis.
    • Call 833-303-5437 Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

    STEP 3:  Get Ready to Ask Questions

    Before you visit a therapist/mental health services provider it is helpful to write down some questions that you want to ask:

    • Do you involve parents (or guardians) in the counseling process?
    • Do you provide family therapy? How do you decide if this is needed?
    • What criteria do you use to determine whether or not a child needs medication? To whom do you refer for this type of assessment?
    • If my child needs special accommodations at school, do you assist in making these arrangements?
    • How flexible is your appointment schedule? Do you offer after school/ evening/Saturday appointments?
    • If you or I decide that you and my child might not work well together, will you be able to suggest other referrals?
    • What is your training and experience working with Infant/Early Childhood Mental Health, as well as working with families from diverse backgrounds?
    • My child has been having some problems in the following areas... (Provide examples of the behaviors that concern you).

    STEP 4: Crisis Services

    Any student or parent can also text HOME to 741741 or call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, 800-273-8255, from anywhere in the U.S.

    If you or a family member has a problem with a substance use disorder, please consider calling the Washington Recovery Help Line, 866-789-1511.

    Anyone can call the Volunteers of America Care Crisis Line at 1-800-584-3578.  This service is available 24 hours per day, seven days a week-- and it is free. They can connect you to a mental health provider and may also have your child evaluated in their home.


    Step 5. Consider Community Counseling Providers

    Please note: Mukilteo School District does not formally recommend specific therapists or counseling practices. The following resources are provided for your information and do not constitute a recommendation.

    Catholic Community Services

    North Sound Behavioral Health Office


    CCS provides community mental health services to Medicaid eligible children and their families in Whatcom, Skagit and Snohomish Counties. After an initial assessment and determination of need for ongoing help, core mental health services available at CCS include individual and/or family counseling/therapy, medication evaluation/management and coordination with primary care physicians, and case management.

    Sea Mar Behavioral Health

    1820 110th St SE, Ste B

    Everett, WA 98208


    Therapists at Sea Mar clients of any age, religion, ethnicity, or sexual orientation and regardless of income, occupation, gender, immigration status, or citizenship status. Many staff speak more than one language, help them better serve diverse communities.

    Compass Health

    Lynnwood Office

    4807 196th St SW, Suite 100

    Lynnwood, WA 98036


    Child and Family Outpatient services provide an array of counseling and support services to families with children and youth who may have emotional and/or behavioral challenges. Compass Health services are designed to promote positive changes in behavior, help the child /youth and family learn appropriate coping skills, improve communication skills including learning to resolve conflict and manage emotions in a healthy manner.

    Compass Health services are tailored to meet the developmental needs of the child and youth and we work to involve family members including foster parents and guardians when that will benefit the client. We offer individual therapy, family therapy, and group therapy using evidenced-based practices as well as case management services to coordinate with schools, Children’s Administration, juvenile justice and other systems that are involved with the particular client.


    Providence Grief Support Services for Children/Teens

    2731 Wetmore Ave, Suite 500

    Everett, WA 98201

    Phone: 425-261-4807


    Providence Grief Support Services offers support for children who are facing or have experienced the loss of a loved one. Each child’s needs are unique. Master’s level counselors provide compassionate and knowledgeable support for grieving children and their families.

    The child and teen grief support program is designed to offer a variety of education and support opportunities, including phone consultations, grief support groups, activities and workshops, and individual sessions in the office, home, or school setting, as well as helpful educational material.


    Everett Clinic Behavioral Health

    Multiple locations


    Everett Clinic offers short-term counseling to provide relief from the problems a child may be experiencing. Or if clinically necessary, your child may benefit from therapies associated with longer-term care. Parents are welcome to participate with their children in treatment sessions.

    • School avoidance/Getting into trouble at school
    • Disorganized or chronically performing poorly at school
    • Experiencing teasing or bullying
    • Trouble making or keeping friends
    • Overly angry
    • Challenging your rules or ignoring your requests
    • Irritable or withdrawn from family and friends