WHAT IS RUNNING START?
- Running Start is a great way to earn college credits as a junior and/or senior in high school by attending community college instead of high school.
- Running Start is for individuals who are READY for college. You must be self-motivated, organized, and willing to take on “adult” learning. (Parents will not have access to your grades or communicate with your college teachers).
- Running Start is NOT free (there are some fees each quarter and you have to pay for books). The state will pay up to 15 credits per quarter toward your tuition if you do full-time R.S.
- If you qualify for free/reduced lunch, you may be able to waive some of your fees.
STEPS FOR ENROLLMENT INTO RUNNING START
1. Visit the community college wesite and read all about how they handle Running Start.
Click here to watch video instructions how to enroll at Everett CC Running Start | PowerPoint with Live Links | Everett Community College https://www.everettcc.edu/enrollment/hs-programs/running-start
2. Attend/watch a required Running Start Overview Webinar and
review information below. Click here for webinar
3. Once you have decided which community college you would like to attend, follow the
community college's steps for completing the enrollment application and testing.
Watch enrollment videos and/or Power Point presentation with live links in Step 1.
Each local community college posts specific enrollment information on their
Running Start webpages.
4. Meet with your counselor to complete the R.S. Enrollment Verification Form.
Be sure to bring placement information (from the community college), along with the
college classes (course titles and codes) you have selected to your high school counselor.
Note: Each community college has advisors available to help you choose classes for
community college that will help you reach your goals of earning your
Associate's Degree or Transfer Degree to other programs/universities.
Your high school counselor will assist you in monitoring your progress in earning
your requirements for KHS graduation.
5. Once you're enrolled and registered for classes at R.S. you will be dropped from any
Kamiak classes that you intend to take at R.S. Remember you should not be
hanging around on Kamiak's campus when you're not scheduled for a class at Kamiak.
If you need to be on Kamiak's campus, please check-in the main office and get a visitor pass.
HOW DO RUNNING START CREDITS WORK?
- 1 credit in college = .2 High School (H.S.) Credit
- Most college courses are worth 5 college credits = 1 H.S. credit
- State will pay tuition for up to 15 credits per quarter (3 quarters)
- Full-Time Running Start students can earn up to 45 college credits per year which = 1 year of college
- Full-Time Running Start student can also earn up to 9 H.S. credits per year = 1 and 1/2 years of H.S.
See comparison chart below:
HOW MANY COLLEGE CREDITS CAN YOU TAKE THROUGH RUNNING START?
HOW DO YOU QUALIFY FOR RUNNING START?
- CLICK HERE FOR MATH PLACEMENT WORKSHEET (Edmonds College)
- CLICK HERE FOR MATH PLACEMENT WORKSHEET (Everett Community College)
Course Equivalencies at Running Start: College Classes You Need to Meet Your High School Requirements
WHAT IF YOU HAVE SPECIAL NEEDS FOR ACCOMMODATIONS?
WHAT IS ORCA IN RUNNING START?
Everett Community College has a special honors program called ORCA (Ocean Research College Academy).
This is a selective program that requires additional admissions requirements including writing three essays and submitting letters of recommendation. Class sizes are small and only 60 students per year are admitted.
RUNNING START COLLEGE RESOURCES AND REFERENCE LINKS
Edmonds College Running Start
Website: https://www.edmonds.edu/highschool/runningstart/default.html (Use the online/LIVE assistance)
Edmonds College Representative for Kamiak:
Anya Nikolic email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org
Everett Community College Running Start
Email: email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 425-388-9040 (leave a voicemail)
Everett Community College ORCA (Ocean Research College Academy)
Ardi Kveven, Executive Director email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org