Panorama survey questions for secondary students
Feelings about School
Please let us know what you think about school in general.
1. How often do teachers encourage you to learn about people from different races, ethnicities, or cultures?
2. How often do you think about what someone of a different race, ethnicity, or culture experiences?
3. How confident are you that students at your school can have honest conversations with each other about race?
4. At your school, how often are you encouraged to think more deeply about race-related topics?
5. How comfortable are you sharing your thoughts about race-related topics with other students at your school?
6. How often do students at your school have important conversations about race, even when they might be uncomfortable?
7. When there are major news events related to race, how often do adults at your school talk about them with students?
8. How well does your school help students speak out against racism?
Your Current Classes
Please tell us about how you feel about your current teachers and classes.
9. How confident are you that you can complete all the work that is assigned in your classes?
10. When complicated ideas are presented in class, how confident are you that you can understand them?
11. How confident are you that you can learn all the material presented in your classes?
12. How confident are you that you can do the hardest work that is assigned in your classes?
13. How confident are you that you will remember what you learned in your current classes, next year?
Please answer the following questions about how you respond to different situations. During the past 30 days…
14. How carefully did you listen to other people’s points of view?
15. How often did you come to class prepared?
16. How much did you care about other people’s feelings?
17. How often did you follow directions in class?
18. How well did you get along with students who are different from you?
19. How often did you get your work done right away, instead of waiting until the last minute?
20. How often were you polite to adults?
21. How often did you compliment others’ accomplishments?
22. How often did you pay attention and resist distractions?
23. How clearly were you able to describe your feelings?
24. When you were working independently, how often did you stay focused?
25. When others disagreed with you, how respectful were you of their views?
26. How often did you remain calm, even when someone was bothering you or saying bad things?
27. To what extent were you able to stand up for yourself without putting others down?
28. How often did you allow others to speak without interruption?
29. To what extent were you able to disagree with others without starting an argument?
30. How often were you polite to other students?
31. How often did you keep your temper in check?
Feelings in General
In this section, we are hoping to learn how you experience different emotions that may occur in your life (whether inside or outside of school).
32. When you are feeling pressured, how easily can you stay in control?
33. How often are you able to pull yourself out of a bad mood?
34. When everybody around you gets angry, how relaxed can you stay?
35. How often are you able to control your emotions when you need to?
36. Once you get upset, how often can you get yourself to relax?
37. When things go wrong for you, how calm are you able to remain?
Feelings About Being at School
In this section, we would like to understand how you feel about your school.
38. How often are people disrespectful to others at your school?
39. How well do people at your school understand you as a person?
40. How often do students get into physical fights at your school?
41. How connected do you feel to the adults at your school?
42. How likely is it that someone from your school will bully you online?
43. How much respect do students in your school show you?
44. How often do you worry about violence at your school?
45. How much do you matter to others at this school?
46. If a student is bullied in school, how difficult is it for him/her to get help from an adult?
47. Overall, how much do you feel like you belong at your school?
48. At your school, how unfairly do the adults treat the students?