In District Transfer Requests
Each student in the District is required to attend the school designated for the geographic attendance area in which they reside (to find out what school(s) your residence is assigned to, search your address here). A parent/guardian may request that their child be allowed to attend another school in the District. Parents must register their student at their neighborhood school pending approval of a transfer request.
Transfer Requests to attend a school other than the student's designated school shall be submitted, in writing, to the Student Services Office using the In-District Transfer Request Form. Forms are also available at the Mukilteo School District Office.
Transfer Requests will be prioritized and reviewed in the order received by the Student Services Department. The primary consideration in reviewing a Transfer Request is space - the capacity of the building, program, grade level or classroom, as determined by the District. If space is not available, the Transfer Request will be denied.
Out of District/Non-Resident Transfer Requests
Any student who resides outside the Mukilteo School District may apply to attend a school in the District. The Superintendent or designee shall annually determine building capacity levels utilizing the Capital Facilities Plan to determine if space is available within individual schools to consider the acceptance of non resident students.
Approvals are based upon one or more of the following criteria:
- Class size limitations in the Mukilteo Education Association Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Demonstration of need to be released from the resident district.
- The District’s capacity to provide a program to address any special conditions required by the student.
- The student’s previous behavior/attendance history in school.
- The student is a child of a Mukilteo School District Employee.
- Applicants for admission must obtain a release form from thier resident district, and submit the release form to their resident district.
- The resident district will send the request electronically to the Mukilteo School District via the OSPI Choice Transfer application.
- The Director of Student Services will review and make a determination on applications in a timely fashion, assuming the building is determined to have capacity. Students will be accepted based on availability of space and the date the application was submitted.
- Applicants and the releasing district may be queried by the Director of Student Services as to serious and/or persistent discipline problems. Existence of such problems may be cause for denial.
School Transfers - Release from District
Applying for Attendance Outside the Mukilteo School District
To obtain a release for your student to attend school outside of the Mukilteo School District please fill out the Mukilteo School District Choice Transfer Release form.
For more information, contact Brenna Fullner (grades 6-12) at firstname.lastname@example.org
or Judy Heminger (grades K-5) at email@example.com.
Requesting Attendance in the Mukilteo School District
To request attendance in the Mukilteo School District from outside the District, please obtain a release from your resident school district administration office. These requests will be reviewed following the regular non resident transfer process.
OSPI - Student and Family: Learning by Choice
School Transfer Appeal Process
In-District Transfer Appeals
In the event that you disagree with an In-District Transfer Request denial, the parent or guardian of a student may request an appeal, in writing, to the Executive Director of Elementary Education or the Executive Director of Secondary Education.
Out of District/Non-Resident Transfer Appeals
In the event that you disagree with a Out of District/Non-Resident Transfer Request denial, you have the right to appeal the decision to the Washington State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI). If you wish to appeal the decision to OSPI please contact:
Office of State Superintendent of Public Instruction
Old Capitol Building
PO Box 47200
Olympia, WA 98504-7200