Welcome to the Kamiak Library
School Closure Library Resources
STUDENT PASSWORDS: There's a new link on the bottom of the Student Portal for pw changes! Or, just click here: Student PW Change Link
If you are locked out of your account or can't remember your password, email SchwennPL@mukilteo.wednet.edu for assistance.
Kamiak Digital Resources
While our physical library may be closed, our digital resources are still available. Here's a list of user names and passwords for off-site use (you'll need to be logged in to your school google account to access the google doc): KHS Online Resources & Passwords
eBooks and Audiobooks
Kamiak's eBook collection
Did you know that you have access to thousands of eBooks in our collection through the Destiny catalog and EBSCO? Here are two ways to access them:
- Sign in to Destiny, click on "Catalog," and set material type to ebooks.
- Search for a specific subject, or just press "enter" and scroll through the extensive list.
- Click on "open," and you will then be asked to enter the EBSCO username and password (kamiak / knights#1).
- NOTE: Some of the books may not be in our collection any more; occasionally you'll get the message that a book is no longer available. Keep scrolling and try another title!
- Click on EBSCOhost button under "Digital Library" to the right.
- Enter user ID (kamiak) and pw (knights#1).
- On "Select Resource" page, scroll down and click on "Ebook Collection."
- Search for something specific or just Browse by Category.
- Remember to Refine Results by limiting to "full text."
Sno-Isle's Online Library
Our public library has a wealth of digital options to keep you reading, watching, and listening! If you don't already have a library card, you can sign up online for immediate access to eBooks, audiobooks, digital comics, videos, and TV series. Visit the Sno-Isle site here: Sno-Isle Online Library.
Visit Sno-Isle Teens for a great selection of YA eBooks and Audiobooks!
Download the Libby app for easy access to eBooks and Audiobooks on your phone. Learn more here: Libby App Information
While schools are closed, Audible Stories is offering free access to their collection. Simply click here: Audible Stories
Scribd is providing 30 days of free access (no credit card required) to their eBooks, audiobooks, and magazines through this link: Scribd Read Free
Check back for more resources (and email me with ideas)!
MTBA 2019-2020 Nominees
Frequently Asked Questions
What will I find in the Library?
What can I do in the Library?
When is the Library open?
What are the Library rules?
Do I need a Library card to check out books?
How many items may I check out?
When are items due?
What happens if I have overdue or lost books?
May I check out videos and DVDs?
May I use computers for games and other personal activities?
May I make photocopies in the Library?
Is there a Library website?
Where can I use computers at Kamiak?
Student Technical Support
Ethical Use of Information
Essential Questions and Thesis Statements
Be Web-Wise: Evaluate Information for Quality
Check out Ebsco eBooks
Copyright Images, Music, and Video
Digital Citizenship: Ethical Use Tips
Online Resources and Passwords
MSD Library Mission and Vision
Using Keywords and Internet/Electronic Search Strategies
Staff Technical Support
Online Curriculum Access Access to online textbooks and materials
How to use Chromebooks Presentation for Staff and Faculty
How to use Chromebooks Presentation for Students
COW Cart Directions for Teachers
Student Contract Expectations for student use of Chromebooks
Student Sign Out Form Form to assign Chromebooks to individual students
Staff Menu of Library Services
Pam Schwenn, Librarian
Hours: 7:00-3:30 (Events beyond our control require the library to close early on some days.)
Closed: We are closed during Staff Meetings and after school on Fridays.
Need a Book?
- English Novel checkout is scheduled through Jennifer Baxter. Please contact her in advance.
- If your students need a book you can send up to five students at a time with a pass. If you are sending more than five, please contact the Library to check our availability.
- If your entire class needs to check out, please see Pam to sign up on the library calendar.
Need Library Computers?
- Teachers are able to sign up to use the computers up to three days in a row for each period. If there are additional openings after the “three day” rule and no one else has signed up, then you are welcome to take the next day. Please sign up with Pam on the Library Calendar.
- There is a computer lab available (317) as well as many Chromebook Carts. You can sign up on SharePoint for availability. Please note: If you are signed up to use the computer lab, it is your responsibility to monitor that students are using the computers that meet the district AUP guidelines.
Need Other Equipment?
We do have other equipment. It is for “Teacher Checkout Only.” Your students are welcome to use the equipment with your guided supervision. These items include:
- 1 digital camcorder and 1 digital camera
- 5 Av Carts with DVD/VHS + projectors and speakers
- 1 laptop/projector/speaker cart.
Need a Book List, Webpage, or Database Resources For Your Students?
- Our library catalog offers a feature for building a book list as well as a website list that your students can use to do research. We can also pull books on carts for your students so you can use them in the library or have them checked out for class use.
- Need a Webpage of high quality links for research on a topic? Set up an appointment with Gail and we will create a list of valuable websites for your students.
- Need a lesson on specific databases or search strategies within the database? Set up an appointment with Gail and she will be happy to guide your students to research effectively.
Need a Lesson or a Book Talk?
We offer the following lessons to help your students
- Library Orientation (These are the rules; here are the tools.)
- Book Talks throughout the year
- Utilizing the Destiny Library Catalog (adding reviews, holds, searching, accessing resource lists) Using Mukilteo School District Databases and eBooks
- Web Evaluation and digital citizenship
- Copyright and fair use, digital images, video, music and other sources
- Research Strategies and Note Taking (Plagiarism, Quoting, Summarizing, and Paraphrasing)
- On-line Citations and Bibliographies
If there is something that you do not see, please see Pam to collaborate and plan!
Do you need a book or a DVD that would help make your teaching world easier? Do you know of a new series or a specific author that your students would love? Do you need to be trained on a piece of equipment, software, or webpage? Please contact Pam with your requests.
Planning ahead to schedule a library space (classroom, computers, or Makerspace) use will insure you get what you need when you need it.
Planning ahead for a collaborative lesson will give Pam the proper time to gather or build the materials needed for a successful lesson for your students.
If you need advice on copyright, policy and procedure, book challenges, or IMC materials, come and see Pam.