Transitional Bilingual Instruction Program - 2162
The Board has the highest commitment toward ensuring an equal educational opportunity for every student. The District shall provide an English Language Development program for children whose primary language is not English, and whose English skills are sufficiently deficient or absent to impair learning. The District’s Transitional Bilingual Instruction Program is designed to enable students to achieve competency in English. Annually, the Board of Directors will approve the District’s Transitional Bilingual Instruction Program.
The District and its staff shall:
- Communicate, whenever feasible, with parents of students in the English Language Development program in a language parents can understand;
- Assess and determine, by means of a State-approved placement test, student eligibility within 10 days of enrollment and attendance;
- Annually assess, by means of the State-approved test, improvement in English language proficiency for each eligible English language learner;
- Provide professional development training for administrators, teachers, counselors, and other staff on the District’s Transitional Bilingual Instruction Program, appropriate instructional and assessment strategies and curriculum and instructional materials for use with culturally and linguistically diverse students; and,
- Provide for continuous improvement and evaluation of the District’s program to determine its effectiveness.
For purposes of providing such services, the Superintendent shall establish procedures for implementing the District’s Transitional Bilingual Instruction Program.
RCW 28A.180.010 - 080 Transitional bilingual instructional program
WAC 392-160 Special service program — transitional bilingual
WAC 162-28-040 English language limitations and national origin discrimination
Adoption Date: April 21, 1998
Revised: March 28, 2005
Revised: November 24, 2008
Revised: May 14, 2018