Alternative Learning Experience Programs - 2245
This policy establishes the minimum requirements for an alternative learning experience (ALE) program as defined in WAC 392-121-182 to be authorized by the Board. The District will make available to students enrolled in an authorized ALE program educational opportunities designed to meet their individual needs. The District will comply with all ALE requirements needed to count as a course of study and to claim State funding pursuant to WAC 392-121-107.
ALE programs may include:
- On-line programs as defined in RCW 28A.150.262
- Parent partnership programs
- Contract-based programs
The Board will adopt and annually review written policies authorizing specific ALE programs when and if they are offered by the District. The policy will designate, by title, the School District official responsible for overseeing the District's ALE programs.
The responsible School District official will report at least annually to the board. The annual report will include:
- Documentation of ALE student headcount and full-time equivalent enrollment claimed for basic education funding;
- Identification of the overall ratio of certificated instructional staff to full-time equivalent students enrolled in each alternative learning experience program;
- A description of how the program supports the District's overall goals and objectives for student academic achievement; and
- Results of any self-evaluations conducted
For any ALE program offered, the District will report annually to the superintendent of public instruction, the costs and purposes of any expenditures made to purchase or contract for instructional or co-curricular experiences and services included in ALE student learning plans. The report will also document the substantially similar experiences or services made available to students enrolled in the District's regular instructional program.
WAC 392-121-182 Alternative learning experience requirements
WAC 392-121-107 Definition — Course of study
RCW 28A.150.262 Defining full-time equivalent student -- Students receiving instruction through alternative learning experience online programs -- Requirements.
Adoption Date: April 21, 1998
Amended: May 9, 2005
Amended: November 14, 2005
Amended: January 14, 2013