Waiver of High School Graduation Credits - Procedures - 2418-P
A student may request a waiver of up to two elective credits during their year of expected graduation from high school due to unusual circumstances as defined in Board Policy 2418.
A student requesting a waiver of high school graduation elective credits must complete the District form and include any materials that document the unusual circumstances. Requests must be received by the Superintendent or Superintendent’s designee’s office no less than thirty days prior to graduation. The Superintendent may waive the thirty-day deadline in cases of catastrophic events occurring within thirty days of graduation that have a direct effect on the student or students requesting a waiver.
In determining whether to grant the request for a waiver based on unusual circumstances, the Superintendent or designee will consider factors such as:
- Unique limitations directly affecting the student as a result of the unusual circumstances;
- Whether the unusual circumstances were beyond the student’s control;
- Whether the unusual circumstances compromised the student’s ability to learn;
- The student’s efforts to cope with the unusual circumstances;
- Documentation provided by the student’s parents or guardians;
- Possible discriminatory effects on the student if the waiver is not granted;
- Significant decline in the student’s academic performance following the occurrence of the unusual circumstances.
In considering whether to grant the waiver, the Superintendent or designee may consult with school staff who have knowledge of the student and with any person identified in the application as having knowledge of the student’s unique circumstances.
The Superintendent or designee will provide a written response to a request for waiver within ten (10) business days. The Superintendent or designee’s decision is final and will only apply to the student’s current graduation year.
October 14, 2015